Employers are looking for the following qualities, among others, when they pick the right person among the candidates:
- Qualifications: Without the relevant qualification you do not know the nitty-gritty of the job. You can’t be a book-keeper without a proper qualification in accounting. Your technical skill is the foundation of a fruitful career.
- Experience: You can obtain on-the-job training to gain the necessary experience to apply for your first job. Related experience is essential for you to get hired.
- Multilingual: With English alone you may be able to survive in other English speaking countries but not in a multiracial country like
. You should be competent, for a Chinese, in Chinese, English and Bahasa Malaysia . Your ability to communicate effectively in three languages will be an added advantage. Malaysia
- Trust: Build the trust of your boss in you. Deliver on time as promised. Be reliable so that your boss can count on you.
- Never say die attitude: Persevere until a problem is solved. You are employed to get things done; do not throw back the problems to your supervisor.
- Honesty: The gut to tell the truth when you make a mistake and not to blame others. Accept and learn from your errors.
- People skills: Your ability to get along well with your boss, your co-workers and your subordinates is highly valued. Maintain a cheerful disposition at work and do not allow personal problems to interfere with your work.
- Loyalty: You do not gossip but keep the company’s secrets to yourself. You look after the interest of the company and suggest ways to improve the image of the company.
- High self-esteem: You are perceived as a person of confidence. You are able to inspire and motivate other staff. In other words you are a leader.
- Open-minded: You are adaptive to changes and new ideas and able to accept constructive criticism.
You are not expected to possess all these qualities but you must have the basic qualifications and experience and the most important personality traits are trust and honesty.
Related article: Article Writer/Blogger – 10 Qualities That Get You Hired