Saturday, April 18, 2009
Liver – Signs of Sluggishness and What You Can Do
The liver is the largest organ in the body. One of its functions is to remove toxins and waste products from the blood. According to Dr. Georges Mouton, a specialist in functional medicine from Belgium, he says that the following are signs of a sluggish liver:
• You have headaches after eating
• Feel shaky after minute amounts of caffeine
• Slightly drunk after a glass of champagne or aperitif
• Fatigue and general sluggishness or a lack of energy to initiate something
• Flu-like aching and stiff muscles
• Over-reaction to perfume, smoke, car exhaust and urban pollution is also a sign that the liver is not detoxifying contaminants
• Quality of sleep is affected
He mentions that the following food are good for the liver:
• Cruciferous vegetables like kale, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage
• The allium family of vegetables such as onions, garlic and chives,
• Watercress, rocket leaves or rucola, radish, horseradish and wasabi.
• Turmeric, capers and pomegranate.
However, he recommends the premium herb - milk thistle.
Milk thistle (also known as silymarin)
According to Wikipedia milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation) and toxin-induced liver damage. Milk thistle is widely available at health food stores.