Tuesday, May 18, 2010
10 Instant Healthy Habits to Change Your Life
These are the healthy habits you can implement immediately to change your health for the better.
1. Get up early: One of the advantages of an early riser is that you get things done even before others are ready to start work. The most important thing for an early riser is that you can start a morning ritual such as getting physical to start a new day with zest and full of energy
2. Breakfast: The other important thing to get up early is that you can enjoy leisurely your breakfast. It is the most important meal in a day as you have gone on a fast for the past eight hours or so, you need nutrition to get you energy to start a new day.
3. Meditate: Early in the morning is the best time to meditate, it is quiet and the air is cool and clean. Doing Yoga or Tai Chi puts you in peace of mind and you can go about the day with full mental focus.
4. Exercise: The immediate benefit of doing exercise, say, jogging, is to release your stress. Aerobic exercise demands more oxygen intake and promotes blood circulation. Your mind is free from clutter and there is a feeling of well-being in you.
5. Positive mental attitude: Positive mental attitude promotes positive emotions such as happiness, confidence, peace of mind and mindfulness. This is one area you have full control and it is up to you to think of positive or negative thoughts. I am sure you want to feel good. Why not think of happy thoughts?
6. Eat less but more often: Eat at regular intervals; train your body to expect food to burn calories. Your digestive system works better on a lighter load. Moreover, your energy levels drop when the intervals between meals are too long. Whenever you are hungry, go for fruits. Avoid smoking and drinking in excess. Avoid eating junk food (processed food, food added with preservatives), and soft drinks. These are things with very low nutritional values
7. Sleep well: Sleep reduces stress and a good night’s sleep energizes your body and makes you more alert. Quality sleep enhances memory, concentration and prevents depression. It is during your sleep that your body does the repair caused by stress and other harmful elements
8. Drink water: Doctors are well aware that dehydration, second only to oxygen deprivation, robs life fastest. Minor dehydration is one of the causes of many illnesses. Dehydration can also cause damage of the blood vessels in the brain as 85% of your brain consists of water.
9. Drink green tea: Green tea is loaded with antioxidants. University of Purdue researchers recently concluded that a compound in green tea inhibits the growth of cancer cells. There is also research indicating that drinking green tea lowers total cholesterol levels, as well as improving the ratio of good (HDL) cholesterol to bad (LDL) cholesterol. Enjoy a cup of warm green tea every day. I usually have a cup in the evening after my dinner.
10. Control stress: The best way to fight stress is to plan ahead with a to-do list. Follow your list means things are done smoothly and stress is avoided.
Health is wealth and wealth is health.