Silence is more musical than any song ~Christina Rossetti (1830 - 1894)
Silence is a source of great strength. ~Lao Tzu
Not many people can stand quietness. There must be, at least, some noise from TV or radio in the background. However, peace and quiet is an essential part of life. There are certain activities that silence is the essence in order to get things done. The purpose of silence is to avoid distractions and get something done with full attention and concentration.
1. Work: You may be interested in your work but you need to avoid distractions in order to immerse in what you do. Noise and sound are the main culprits. Silence is the way to be focused and to be productive.
2. Sleep: To sleep is to rest without disturbances. The room should be dim and it should be quiet all round. These are the conditions for you to go to sleep easily and quickly.
3. Drive: To drive carefully is not just to pay full attention to what you see but also to pay attention to what you hear as well. Listen to your engine noise and spot any unusual sound. Listen carefully to noises outside your car to avoid an accident.
4. Read: At the library, strict silence is to be observed. The same is to be applied when you do reading at home. To derive goodness from what you read, you need to concentrate and be mindful.
5. Think: You do not want the train of thoughts to be interrupted and disturbed by unwelcomed noises. Thinking is hard and it can be easily distracted.
6. Write: Writing involves thinking and focus. Silence is the prerequisite to think and write creatively.
7. Just be quiet: Finding peace of mind is to seek peace and quiet in you. Meditate or just sit quietly alone and do nothing. Be in a state of calmness with nothing to disturb you. Listen to the sound of silence and get self-awareness.
True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment. ~William Penn
Silence is golden.