Today, many companies are reporting that their number one constraint on growth is the inability to hire workers with the necessary skills. ~William J. Clinton
To develop you career successfully is to develop your key skills simultaneously in the following areas:
1. Technical skills: You are employed because your technical skills are relevant to the post that you have applied for. It is good to apply what you have learnt to good use. It is more important that you always stay competent while at work. Continuous learning is the most effective way to stay up-to-date. Learning from experienced staff and asking questions is the right attitude to adopt. The more you learn and know, the more skillful and valuable you will be.
2. People skills: The ability to get things done through others is a challenge. Always show a sincere interest in others. When you acknowledge and pay attention to them, they will response to you more willingly. Help others to get what they want so that you can get what you want easily. Treat them the way you want to be treated. Be polite and be firm. It is also necessary to work with your boss productively and effectively. Always keep your boss posted regularly about your work. Honesty is the best policy in all dealings. Don’t hide the truth because it will be out sooner or later.
3. Communication skills: It is important to give verbal instructions fully and clearly. It is also essential to write effectively. Listening is another important skill in effective communication. Listening fully and attentively is to pay attention and respect the speaker. Understand the message fully before you speak your mind.
4. Soft skills: Soft skills are the most important skills to decide your career success. It is about your attitude at work. It is what you think about the job and the way you get things done. It is also your response to things that are happening to you. Soft skills are about positive attitude, enthusiasm, optimism, confidence, taking pride in what you do, looking after your reputation, responsiveness, adaptability, flexibility and be proactive and creative.
Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure. ~ Norman Vincent Peale
5. Wholesome self development: Physical fitness holds the key for you to work calmly, zestfully and withstand stressful situation. Exercise daily such as jogging is to boost not only your stamina but your brain power as well. When you uphold moral values and do what is right, you are building an honorable and trusted brand. Your true character with stand the test of time.
Are you constantly focused on developing the key areas for career success?